Thursday, April 21, 2011

2-Way Kabobs


While I've been doing the Boot Camp Challenge, I have been trying to incorporate some healthier alternatives to my cooking, while still giving the hubs what he desires...meat and potatoes.  So I came up with this marinade, and just changed one ingredient in the marinade to switch from beef to chicken, and it was fantastic!

A few tips to the perfect kabobs.  And look, I'm no expert, but I have seen a few things here or there on the food network...and the fab chefs on that channel have been doing this stuff for a long time, and I'm a very trusting individual.  Makes for a great relationship.  First thing is if you are planning on using wooden skewers, make sure you soak them first.  This will ensure that the skewers won't burn.  Yes, I soaked my skewers in my develled egg tray.  Don't hate.  I'm resourceful.


Next you want to mix up the marinade...super simple just whisk it together.  I believe that this one was the beer marinade.


Once you are finished mixing the marinade, pour it over your chopped meat and veggies.  The bottom container is our Foodsaver quick marinade container (love this! marinade in about 15 minutes, what would normally take 12-24 hrs!) and the top bag is the chicken.  I knew that the chicken would not take as much time to marinade as the beef. 


In the meantime, I parboiled some red potatoes for a few minutes, then cooled and quartered them.  Once Timothy was home from the farm and got the grill going (it's a fine art) I skewered them and had them ready to grill.  I never did get a good picture of the chicken kabobs (there's nothing good about the lighting at 9 pm) but they were WONDERFUL! There was something about the honey and the grilled pineapple that was killer!  Hope you enjoy these kabobs, I'm interested to see what vegetables you choose to use!

Easy Steak Kabobs
printable recipe
makes 6-10 kabobs

Marinade Ingredients:
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1/3 cup soy sauce
1/3 cup worcestershire sauce
2 Tbsp spicy brown mustard
2 cloves garlic minced
cracked black pepper
red pepper flakes (optional)

Directions:
Whisk all ingredients together and pour over 1 lb of chunked sirloin along with vegetables of your choice.  I used red onion, green pepper, and red potatoes.  Marinade for 12+ hours.

**For chicken kabobs, replace the worcestershire sauce with honey, and the spicy brown mustard with dijon mustard.  With the chicken kabobs instead of potatoes I used pineapple. Yum!
Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...