Friday, December 3, 2010

Easiest. Crockpot Roast. Ever.


Ok first let me say that it has been awhile since I put out a new recipe.  A million apologies to the 10 people that actually read this thing.  I kid, I kid... But with basketball now being in full swing, Thanksgiving last week, and a tournament this week, blogging has taken a bit of a back seat.  I've barely had time to cook at all this week (thank goodness for freezer meals).  So in the spirit of easy cooking, I thought this post would be perfect.  Let me first start by saying that I adore my crock pot.  So much so that I have decided to show you guys some of my very favorite crock pot recipes.  With the weather turning colder, and my free time being limited, the crock pot is my best friend.  So dust off that crock pot you got as a wedding or Christmas gift and put it to good use! 

This is by far the easiest slow cooker roast, and it makes its own gravy.  Hello bonus!  If you are super efficient, you probably already have some frozen mashed potatoes to go along with it.  But who really is that efficient? Really?  Definitely not me, so I usually plan to make this roast when I know I'll have time to whip up some potatoes.  The leftovers also make killer cold sandwiches the next day. 


Start by covering the roast with salt, pepper, and flour on all sides.  Don't skip this step, or you dinner will be ruined, and the cable will go out (oh the horror), and the toilet will clog.  No not really, but I totally reccommend this extra step. 


Melt the butter in a skillet and brown the roast on all sides.  This will help keep the natural flavors of the meat where it needs to be, inside the meat.  Otherwise you end up with meat that just tastes alright, with a very flavorful gravy.  Plus as an added bonus the flour will thicken up the gravy.


Place the roast in the slow cooker and add the onion soup mix, and garlic. 


Then pour the soup and beef broth over the top.  Some people like to stir these things up before pouring over, I do that sometimes, but on this particular day I was in a hurry and didn't care, can ya' feel me??  I found that it came out just as good without the mixing...


Slow Cooker Pot Roast
makes 6-8 servings
Printable Recipe
Ingredients:
2 cans cream of mushroom soup
1 pkg onion soup mix
1 (14.5 oz) can beef broth
2 cloves garlic, peeled and rough chopped
5 lb beef roast
2 Tbsp butter or olive oil
flour, salt, and pepper


Directions:
Season roast with flour, salt, and pepper.  Sear all sides of the roast in a skillet, this will keep in all the natural flavor of the meat.  Place in slow cooker, add all other ingredients.  Cook on low for 10 hours.
Pin It!

1 comment:

  1. Ok the searing the pot roast befor putting it into the crockpot is brilliant- how did I never think of that?

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...