Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Big Hunting Weekend

It was a big weekend for a few of my favorite hunters.  My sister-in-law Mikela got a really nice buck on her first ever hunt, and my husband Timothy got another nice buck with his bow.  A few months ago I took Mikela to our state Hunter Safety Education Course.  We both made it all the way through the class, and let me tell you, it was much more grueling than it used to be.  Both my husband and father-in-law said it would be a breeze and consist of common sense hunting techniques.  After the first lesson where we learned about how to disassemble a gun and why steel shot vs. lead shot should be used,  I knew this would be a challenge, especially for an 11 yr old.  But we prevailed, and I was so proud of her!  So of course she was super excited about youth season this past weekend.  She went out, first hunt, first shot, and got a great buck that most grown hunters would love to have.  She worked really hard helping her dad process the deer and now her family can enjoy the meat for a few meals.  You see, in this family, we don't just hunt for sport, we hunt for food! 

Later on Saturday, Timothy went out to his bow stand and ended up shooting a buck too!  It was getting dark, and we didn't want to spook anything else, so we waited until Sunday morning to get this beauty.  Because we will probably harvest some does this season for food, Timothy donated his buck to Share the Harvest.  If you have never heard of this program, check out the information on the website.  It is a really great opportunity for hunters to help out families in need.  Rifle season starts in a few weeks, so I will be needing to make some breakfast for some very hungry hunters (myself included fingers crossed)...I will definitely post some great breakfast stand-bys from those meals! 

Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...