Friday, November 5, 2010

Banana Bread


Growing up I remember my Grandma Lee and mom saving ripe bananas until they were practically falling apart.  It completely grossed me out, but once I tasted the amazing flavor of their homemade banana bread, it all made sense.  I am so lucky to be given this recipe, and while I’m sure it is similar to a lot of other banana breads, in my eyes it really is the best.  It comes out so moist and delicious, I can’t even begin to describe the taste of it right out of the oven.  My husband likes it with nuts and I don’t, but I’ll forgive him.  However, if you don’t like nuts in your breads, just omit them.  I have tried a lot of banana breads over the years (you’ll never see me turn down a good banana bread), but I’ve never had one that quite matches up to this recipe.  From my family to yours, I hope you enjoy this warm, comforting blast from my past.

My grandma, brother, and grandpa (in the back) :)


Banana Bread
Ingredients:
1 stick of butter, softened
1 cup of sugar
2 eggs
½ tsp vanilla
1 tsp baking soda
salt (leave out if you used salted butter)
2 cups flour
3-4 very ripe bananas, enough to make a generous cup
1/2 cup chopped nuts (optional)

Directions:
1.  Cream butter, sugar, and eggs together.  Add vanilla.  Add flour, sift if possible with baking soda and salt.  Add mashed bananas and nuts. 
2.  Pour into greased loaf pan (makes 2 small or 1 large loaf.)  Bake at 350° for 40 minutes or until a toothpick comes out almsot clean in the center.

Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...