Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Easy Beef Enchiladas

I happen to think that my father-in-law makes the best beef enchiladas.  Seriously, the man can cook!  I have put off tackling them on my own because I was so afraid that they wouldn't live up.  I decided to go out on a limb and give it a try last night. 

I called my father-in-law to ask him how he makes his famous enchiladas and his response was this..."I get two cans of enchilada sauce.  There's a recipe on the back, but I don't use the recipe, I add in a few other things, just make sure to add enough sauce that the filling isn't too dry"...Ummmm excuse me???? What kind of answer is that? I was expecting a super secret ingredient, or step in the recipe.  Nope.  Before I panicked, I realized that he was just doing what any good cook would do...take a recipe and change it to fit your taste.  So that is what I did, and I think I came up with a pretty good replica of his.   Enjoy!


Easy Beef Enchiladas
Makes 8 servings
Printable recipe

Ingredients:
1 pkg 6 inch flour tortillas (8)
1 lb ground beef
1 medium onion
1-2 cloves of garlic, minced
1 can diced green chilies
2 cans enchilada sauce (heat level to your preference, I use 1 medium, 1 hot)
2 cups cheddar cheese, divided
1/2 Tbsp cumin
1/4 tsp chili powder
cayenne pepper to taste
salt and pepper to taste
cilantro, chopped

Directions:
Preheat oven to 375°.  Cook onions and ground beef until hamburger is brown and onions are soft.  Add garlic and cook for a few more minutes.  Turn off the heat and drain off the fat (I usually save a little for flavor).  Add in 1/2-3/4 of one can of enchilada sauce, green chilies, cumin, chili powder, salt, and pepper.  Stir in the cheese and cilantro to taste.  Your filling should have a thick but smooth consistency.  If necessary, add more sauce.  Draw a line through your filling to cut it in half.  This will make it easier to judge how much to put in each tortilla.  Spoon filling into a tortilla.  Roll up and place seam side down in a greased 9x13 pan.  Pour the rest of the sauce over the enchiladas and top with remaining cheese.  Bake for 30-45 minutes or until bubbly and the sauce has a chance to thicken.  Garnish with cilantro before serving.
Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...