Thursday, October 28, 2010

"Bean's" Chili

The first few years my husband and I were dating he had two roommates.  One of them has the nickname of "Bean."  Timothy has told me the story of where is name originated I'm sure, but these are things I forget.  Heck I even forget to take my keys out of the door after I unlock it.  Anywho, each roommate would take turns cooking their best meals.  When it was Bean's turn to cook, he always made chili.  It was super delicious, but holy geez you were breathing fire for a good hour after eating a bowl. 

Now I'll be the first to tell you I love spicy foods and can handle the heat, so this recipe works for now and later.  I figured it was important for me to have a recipe that I could carry with me through kids, and seeing as how most kids shy away from that much spice, I will be able to tone it down a little.  Now don't get me wrong, this still has a kick!  However, you can regulate the "kick" to your liking.  My favorite part of this recipe is how easy it is to just throw all of the ingredients in a crockpot, set it on low, and a few hours later, magic!  I hope you enjoy this throwback to my husband's roommate, my version of it anyway, and seeing how this is his birthday, it is definitely fitting.  Happy Birthday Bean!



Bean's Chili
makes 12 servings
Printable recipe

Ingredients:
2 lbs ground beef
1 large softball size onion, or 2 medium size onions
1 green pepper, seeded and chopped (optional)
4 cloves garlic minced
1 (40 oz) can Brooks Hot Chili Beans
2 (14.5 oz) cans chili ready tomatoes
1 (14.5) oz can tomato sauce
1-2 Tbsp canned chopped jalapeno peppers
1 tsp dried basil
2 Tbsp chili powder
salt & pepper to taste

Directions:
Brown the saute the onions and green peppers in a small amount of olive oil.  Add ground beef and cook until brown.  Drain and add all other ingredients.  Bring to boiling; reduce heat.  Simmer, covered, for 30 minutes, but the longer the better.  Garnish with your favorite toppings, cheese, onions, sour cream, etc. 

If making for the slow cooker:  Brown the ground beef, drain.  Add all ingredients to the slow cooker and cook on low for 8 hours or high for 4-6 hours. 
Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...