Saturday, October 1, 2011

Chicken Pot Pie Soup with Mini Pie Crisps

DSC_0589I. LOVE. FALL. I love the weather, I love the scents, and I love fall food.  The weather here has been a little on the chilly side the past week or so, and I decided it was time to bust out a soup.  The hubs has dropped some not-so-subtle hints about chicken pot pie...Such as, "Man I really love your chicken pot pie," "You know, we haven't had chicken pot pie in awhile," "Man we should totally have chicken sometime soon and you could use the leftovers for chicken pot pie," and "Hey can you make chicken pot pie?"...See what I mean?  I obviously didn’t marry him because he is timid.  However, I just wasn't feeling chicken pot pie, I'm not really sure why, but I think it may have to do with the impending big freeze-a-thon that I'm going to have to do before basketball starts.  I know there are a lot of chicken pot pies in our future, and I didn't want to burn out on them too soon.  What I did want is a soup...and I'm all about keeping things fair in our marriage, so I met him in the middle.  I thought this turned out great, and the little mini pie crusts on top really set it off and made it more than just a creamy chicken soup.  Although the hubs said it would be just fine with a loaf of bread on the side...he keeps me grounded.
DSC_0568Start by heating your butter in a Dutch oven or large pot over medium heat.  Add onions and celery and cook until soft.  Add flour and bouillon and cook for a few minutes.  See all that brown stuff on the bottom of my pan?  That’s not a bad thing! It’s some browned bits from the onion and that will come up when we add in the water.  After a few minutes of cooking your flour and bouillon, make sure your pan is super hot and whisk in the water.  The water should deglaze the bottom of the pan.   Add in the milk and stir to combine. 
DSC_0570Now your soup should look like this!
DSC_0571Add in the veggies…The crinkly carrots really add a nice touch don’t you think???
DSC_0574Add in your spices…
DSC_0576And cook until the vegetables are cooked through.  You don’t want them to turn to mush, just cook through.  Add in your chicken…heat through.  Serve immediately with the mini pie crisps (recipe below.)
DSC_0591
Chicken Pot Pie Soup w/ Mini Pie Crisps printable recipe
makes 6-8 servings

Chicken Pot Pie Soup Ingredients:
2 cups cooked chicken breast, diced small
4 Tbsp. butter
1 bag frozen mixed vegetables
1 medium onion, chopped
1 stalk celery, chopped
3 tsp. chicken bouillon powder (I used the low sodium!), or 3 cubes
salt/pepper to taste
pinch of thyme
pinch of rosemary
1 bay leaf
2 cups water
3 cups skim milk
5 Tbsp. flour (I used white whole wheat flour)

Directions:
1.  In a Dutch oven or large pot, heat butter over medium to medium-high heat and add onion and celery.  Cook until onion and celery are softened.  Add in flour and combine.  Cook for about 2 minutes, or until flour has absorbed the oil.
2.  Add in chicken bouillon, and stir.  Whisk in water and stir in milk, frozen vegetables, thyme, rosemary, and the bay leaf.  Bring to a boil until vegetables are cooked through.  Keep in mind that you don't want your vegetables to get mushy, just softer.
3.  Add in the chicken.  Cook until soup is thickened.  Serve with pie crisps. (recipe below)

Mini Pie Crisps makes 12 pie crisps Ingredients:
1 cup flour
1/2 tsp. salt
2 TBS cold water
1/3 cup canola oil (I use Wesson)

Directions:
Roll out between 2 sheets of wax paper. Cut in circles with cup or biscuit cutter, crimp edges and prick with a fork.  Bake on a cookie sheet for 10-12 minutes at 450 degrees. Serve immediately with hot soup.

Soup recipe adapted from Skinny Taste
Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...