Saturday, September 10, 2011

Taco Seasoning

taco seasoning1
If you have ever looked at the ingredients on the back of a packet of taco seasoning (or if you're like me you avoided looking for years), you may or may not have noticed that there are a lot of funky-named ingredients on the back of the package.  Not to mention the sodium...Oy Vey!  Now, I know that a package of taco seasoning is cost efficient.  As a cheap college student, and newlywed, I figured out where to cut costs.  And taco seasoning was one of them.  Not only was it cheap, but give me something in which I just need to add water and I'll take that any day!  So before you start pumping your fist at the computer and screaming about how I am "out of touch with reality" and "who the heck has time to make something like that?", I have good news for you...you really truly can make your own taco seasoning and you can keep it in your cabinet for quick access.  Oh, and you just have to add water...it doesn't get much easier.

taco seasoning2

Taco Seasoning
printable recipe
makes about 6 servings

Ingredients:
4 Tbsp. chili powder
3 Tbsp. + 1 tsp. paprika
3 Tbsp. cumin
1 Tbsp. + 1 tsp. onion powder
1 tsp. garlic powder
1/4 tsp. cayenne

Directions:
Mix seasoning and store in airtight container for future use.  To make taco meat, brown 1 pound of hamburger.  Drain.  Stir in 3 Tbsp. of the seasoning and add 2/3 cup water.  Cook until combined and thickened. 

**I modified this recipe because I like to chop up 1 small onion and sauté it with the burger.  If your kiddos don't like onion, grate some in they'll never know!  But if you absolutely can't stand onions but like the flavor it adds, then add an extra teaspoon of onion powder to your mix.

Slightly adapted from Annie's Eats
Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...