Monday, June 27, 2011

Easy Tuna Salad + Why It's Hard to "Recipe"


Yes I'm alive.  To all 7 of you who were wondering, things have just been a little crazy around here lately.  I've been working on building my invitation business and between that, coaching, and trying to keep the house clean, I haven't had much time to "recipe"...And speaking of that, I am finding it more and more difficult to write recipes.  I struggle because most of the things I make on a daily basis don't involve recipes, I just "know" what is good.  That's the thing about cooking...I really feel like anyone can cook with a recipe, but it does take time to develop skills in order to know what flavors taste good together.  I am still learning that every day, and it will never get old.  I didn't go to culinery school, but I can tell you what my grandma did...problem is, my grandma doesn't go by recipes either.  So therein-lies the problem. 

I don't bake a lot of sweets, it just isn't my thing.  I love salty savory dishes, and by the time I sufficiently stuff myself on my meal, there is literally no room for dessert.  Although there is that sick twisted game I play with myself when it comes to snacks, like "oh I just ate that entire bag of salty chips, I have to balance it out with something sweet"...and back and forth I go until I'm unbuttoning my pants.  It ain't pretty... Anyway, back to the savory dishes...with savory, I don't really feel like a recipe is absolutely necessary.  Unlike desserts, where if you add the tiniest bit too much salt you end up with chocolate chip cookies that make your dad cringe.  Just a little side note: If you are 10 years old and making cookies alone for the first time...pay attention.  1/2 teaspoon and 1/2 cup are NOT interchangeable when it comes to salt.  Thankfully I have the best dad, that said..."Yummmmm, but I think they might be a little on the salty side"...Oh well.  Lesson learned!

To get back on track, this is why I enjoy making savory meals (hence the name of this blog)...I throw out a dessert every once in awhile, but it's rare.  And it usually involves something seasonal, like berries,or happens to fall around a holiday.  The reason I love savory dinners are because there's not much science to it, except my tastebuds.  So I'm going to try REALLY hard to write recipes for my favorite things, things I make probably a little differently each time.  But don't be surprised if there is more emphasis on technique and taste, than actual recipes.  It's really all about how it tastes after all. 

Tuna Salad Sandwiches
Printable Recipe

Yield: about 2 sandwiches
Ingredients:
1 can chunk light tuna in water (drained)
1 hard boiled egg
1/4 cup mayonaisse
salt and pepper to taste
splash of lemon juice

bread
lettuce
tomato (if you don't notice the tomato in the picture that's because it is missing.  Because I am holding out for fresh tomatos from the garden.  It's very difficult)
extra mayo
Directions:
1.  Peel the egg and chop it up.  I like the egg very finely chopped, so if I'm making a big batch I usually pulse the eggs in the food processor.  If I am making 1-2 sandwiches, I usually press my fork into the chopped egs to mash them up.
2.  Mix all the rest of the ingredients together, adding more of each depending on your taste.  If you have a little bit of celery this is delicious finely chopped and added in.  Refridgerate until ready to use.
3.  Make your sandwich.
Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...